სურამის ციხის წმ. გიორგის ეკლესიის უცნობი სააღმშენებლო წარწერა (XV-XVI სს.) მეჭურჭლეთუხუცესისა და პირის მწდის გიორგი ღაღანისძისა და მისი მეუღლის თამარ ქუაბულისძის მოხსენიებით (წარწერის მიკვლევისა და შესწავლის ისტორია; ტექსტის პუბლიკაცია). ირაკლი გელაშვილი, თამაზ გოგოლაძე, თემო ჯოჯუა. / AN UNKNOWN CONSTRUCTION INSCRIPTION (XV-XVI CC.) ON THE WALL OF ST. GEORGE CHURCH IN SURAMI FORTRESS WITH MENTIONING OF GIORGI GAGANIDZE, MECHURCHLETUKHUTSESI AND PIRIS MTSDE, AND HIS SPOUSE TAMAR KUABULISDZE (THE HISTORY OF REVEALING THE INSCRIPTION AND ITS STUDYING, AND PUBLICATION OF THE TEXT). Irakli Gelashvili, Tamaz Gogoladze, Temo Jojua.

შრომები-XIV-XV. სურამი

გიორგი გალატოზთა ზედა დამდეგის უცნობი წარწერა რუისის ღმრთისმშობლის ტაძრიდან. ირაკლი გელაშვილი. / AN UNKNOWN INSCRIPTION OF GIORGI, `THE OVERSEER OF MASONS~, FROM THE CHURCHOF THE MOTHER OF GOD IN RUISI. Irakli Gelashvili.

შრომები-XIV-XV. რუისი

1679 წ. უცნობი სააღმშენებლო წარწერა ცხრუკვეთის წმიდა მარინეს სახელობის ეკლესიიდან, გიორგი აბაშიძისა და მისი მეუღლის მართას მოხსენიებით და მისი მნიშვნელობა აბაშიძეთა ფეოდალური სახლის ისტორიისათვის / An Unknown Construction Inscription of 1679 s from the St. Marine Church of Tskhrukveti, with the Mention of George Abashidze and his spouse Marta and its importance for the History of the Abashidzes feudal house.

არსენ მანგლელის 1667 წლის სამშენებლო წარწერა მანგლისის ტაძრიდან და მისი მნიშვნელობა აბაშიშვილთა ფეოდალური სახლის ისტორიისათვის

თამაზ გოგოლაძე

წინამდებარე ნაშრომში განვიხილავთ მანგლისის ტაძრის გალავნის აღმოსავლეთ კედელში არსებული შესასვლელის თავზე მოთავსებულ, 1667 წლის არსენ მანგლელის სამშენებლო წარწერას. შევეცდებით კიდევ ერთხელ ქართული  დიპლომატიკური ძეგლების საფუძველზე აღნიშნულ სამშენებლო წარწერაში მოხსენიებული არსენ მანგლელის ფეოდალური სახლის კუთვნილების საკითხის გარკვევას. ქართულ ისტორიოგრაფიაში (გურამ ჯანდიერი, გულიკო მჭედლიძე) დღემდე მყარად არის დამკვიდრებული შემდეგი მოსაზრება, რომლის მიხედვითაც ამ სამშენებლო წარწერაში მოხსენიებულ არსენ მანგლელს ბარათაშვილთა ერთ-ერთ განშტოებას, სახელდობრ, გერმანოზიშვილთა ფეოდალურ ოჯახს მიაკუთვნებენ. ჩვენი აზრით, ქართულ სპეციალურ ლიტერატურაში დამყარებული აღნიშნული მოსაზრება არ შეესაბამება რეალობას და ჩვენი მხრიდან კიდევ ერთხელ გადახედვას მოითხოვს. Continue reading არსენ მანგლელის 1667 წლის სამშენებლო წარწერა მანგლისის ტაძრიდან და მისი მნიშვნელობა აბაშიშვილთა ფეოდალური სახლის ისტორიისათვის

ფოთოლეთის ეკლესიის ნაკაწრი წარწერები და მათი ისტორიულ-წყაროთმცოდნეობითი ანალიზი / Graffiti from the Potoleti Church and their Analysis by Means of Historical and Source Study Methods

თამაზ გოგოლაძე, ირაკლი გელაშვილი, ნინო ხარშილაძე

Tamaz Gogoladze, Irakli Gelashvili, Nini Kharshiladze

Several opinions have been circulating among Georgian scholars about location of the Kviriketsmida Monastery until now. Based on historical-geographical and architectural analysis, certain scholars (D. Khoshtaria) identified Kviriketsmida with Potoleti church.

In a course of archaeological excavations of the monastery in 2008, a cist was unearthed within the north cloister, to the west of the prothesis. Seven graffiti in mixed nuskhuri and mkhedruli scripts were found on the cist lead-tombstone. In spring and summer 2014 we have visited the site several times with the purpose of studying these inscriptions. We have made paleographic copies of the graffiti and have photographed them. In situ study of the graffiti has shown that by content they belong to supplication inscriptions. Based on paleographic peculiarities, we have dated the graffiti to the 11th century.

Supplications found in the fifth and sixth inscriptions out of the seven graffiti on the cist lead are addressed to St. George. This fact contradicts to identification of Kviriketsmida with Potoleti church (D. Khoshtaria) accepted by Georgian scholars lately. On the contrary, the both above-mentioned inscriptions indicate that the Potoleti church was a branch of St. George Monastery. Otherwise, individuals mentioned in the inscriptions would have asked for assistance from St. Kvirike. But as we have noted above, their supplications are addressed to St. George. It is hard to believe that the name of the monastery built in the 9th c. – first half of the 10th century, by the 11th century was already forgotten.

In spite of the fact that the unearthed slab with graffiti was used as a tombstone, we consider it a secondary use stone, because it is hard to believe that the 11th-century graffiti on a tombstone could have survived till now. We are not aware of such cases in the Georgian epigraphy. On the other hand, supplication inscriptions were often scratched on exterior and interior walls of churches. We have examined walls of the Potoleti church and found out that the stones similar to the tombstone under consideration are abundantly used in the masonry of the church interior. Based on this, we consider that initially the slab with graffiti was a part of the church interior decoration.

Thus, based on the analysis of graffiti from Potoleti church we have refuted consideration about identification of Kviriketsmida with Potoleti church (D. Khoshtaria) accepted by Georgian scholars lately.

ფოთოლეთის მონასტერი ბორჯომის რაიონში, სოფელ ახალდაბიდან სამხრეთით 5 კილომეტრის მანძილზე, მთის ოდნავ გავაკებულ ფერდზე მდებარეობს. ტაძარს, მისი არქიტექტურული მონაცემების საფუძველზე, IX-X საუკუნის I ნახევრით ათარიღებენ.

1939 წელს ფოთოლეთის ეკლესიის შენობაში სიძველეთა კომიტეტის მიერ ჩატარდა არქეოლოგიური გათხრები, რომელსაც ხელმძღვანელობდნენ რ. მეფისაშვილი და ზ. მაისურაძე. ამ დროს გამოვლინდა ტაძარში X საუკუნის კანკელი (აღნიშნული კანკელის თარიღს პირველად ქართულ სამეცნიერო ლიტერატურაში გვაძლევს რენე შმერლინგი იხ. რ. შმერლინგი 1954 : 46; Шмерлинг Р. 1962 : 53-54.) და კარნიზის დეკორატიული მორთულობისათვის განკუთვნილი სამკუთხედის ფორმის ბოლოების მქონე კრამიტები, რომელთა ჩაღრმავებულ სამკუთხედებში მოქცეულია ერთმანეთის პირისპირ მდგომი ირმების რელიეფური გამოსახულებები. ფოთოლეთის ეკლესიის ძველი კანკელის ფრაგმენტები ამჟამად შალვა ამირანაშვილის სახელობის საქართველოს ხელოვნების მუზეუმში ინახება (ფოთოლეთის კანკელის შავ-თეთრი ფოტოები იხ. Mepisaschwili R, W.  Zinzadze. 1977 : 240-241), რომლის მარცხენა ბოძის სიგრძეზე მოთავსებულია ნაკაწრი წარწერები. Continue reading ფოთოლეთის ეკლესიის ნაკაწრი წარწერები და მათი ისტორიულ-წყაროთმცოდნეობითი ანალიზი / Graffiti from the Potoleti Church and their Analysis by Means of Historical and Source Study Methods

„ორი ქვაზედ დაწერილი გუჯარი“ და მისი მნიშვნელობა XVIII საუკუნის დასაწყისის კახეთის სამეფოს ისტორიისათვის[1] / “Two Documents Written on Stone” and their Significance for History of the Kingdom of Kakheti at the Beginning of the Eighteenth Century

თამაზ გოგოლაძე / Tamaz Gogoladze

ახალგაზრდა მეცნიერთა ცენტრი საქართველოს სიძველენი/ Center of Young Scientists Antiquities of Georgia

კორნელი კეკელიძის სახელობის ხელნაწერთა ეროვნული ცენტრი / Korneli Kekelidze National Center of Manuscripts

Georgian historical documents are authentic sources for studying history of Georgia. Legal acts carved in stone belong to a separate group of historical documents.

The paper concerns two documents written on the stone surfaces. Information about the texts under the title Two Documents Written on Stone was published by Eqvtime Takaishvili in a newspaper Tsnobis Purceli, issue no. 1362 of  January 23, 1901. By that time the texts were kept at the library of the Society for Spreading the Literacy. Unfortunately, we did not succeed in identifying recent location of the above-mentioned texts. Probably they were lost or obliterated after 1901.

According to the first document, King Gorgasali donated territory with its mountain, valley and cultivated land to the Tushetians in return for certain services to the King. The Tushetians killed Alvanishvili from Parsma during the capture of Gveleti and Eldari fortresses. It was for this service King Gorgasali donated them the land. Apart from that, the Tushetians were granted a tax reduction by the King: only one sheep per flock. Prince Archil and mouravi (appointed royal official) Zakaria are mentioned as overlookers. Bishop Davit of Cheremi wrote the document.

According to another document, King Gorgasali had donated the Upper and Lower Chailuri with its fields, spring and mill to the Mother of God of Cheremi. This document was also written by Bishop Davit of Cheremi. Prince Archil and mouravi Zakaria are also mentioned in the document.

Eqvtime Takaishvili considered that Prince Archil is  a future King Archil II. Based on this consideration, he dated the document to the second half of the seventeenth century, or more precisely, to the years of the King’s reign, 1664-1675. Date of the document suggested by Eqvtime Takaishvili was accepted in Georgian historiography (A. Shavkhelishvili).

Based on the comparative analysis of the historical documents under consideration, both compiled on the turn of the seventeenth to eighteenth  century, we have come to the following conclusions: a) in our opinion, King Gorgasali mentioned in the document is Gurgaslan / Gorgaslan, the eighth son of King Erekle I. b) one can suppose that Gurgaslan / Gorgaslan, the eighth son of King Erekle I, rebelled against his father and announced himself the King of Kakheti under the support of the Tushetians. Another scenario is also possible: Gorgasali strove against the Iranians in coordination with his father for restoration of legitimate rights in Kakheti. c) we date the above two documents issued by King Gorgaslani to 1702-1709, instead of 1664-1675 as was accepted earlier. d) in difference from Eqvtime Takaishvili, we don’t think that Archil / Prince Archil mentioned in the above two documents was the son of King Vakhtang V. According to our cautious assumption, Archil was the son of King Gorgasali. d) Davit of Cheremi mentioned in the documents is yet unknown bishop of Cheremi Bishopric. We consider 1709 as the upper chronological limit of the bishop’s rule.

ქართული ისტორიული საბუთები საქართველოს ისტორიის შესწავლის თვალსაზრისით ერთ-ერთ უტყუარ წყაროს წარმოადგენენ. ისტორიულ დოკუმენტებში ცალკე ჯგუფს ქმნის ქვაზე შესრულებული იურიდიული აქტები.

წინამდებარე ნაშრომიც სწორედ ქვაზედ ამოღარულ ორ საბუთს ეხება, რომელიც 1901 წლის 23 იანვრის გაზეთ ცნობის ფურცელის 1362-ე ნომერში დაბეჭდა ექვთიმე თაყაიშვილმა, სათაურით ორი ქვაზედ დაწერილი გუჯარი, რომელიც, ავტორისავე თქმით, 1901 წლისათვის წერა-კითხვის გამავრცელებელ საზოგადოების წიგნთსაცავში ინახებოდა. სამწუხაროდ, ჩვენ აღნიშნული ორი საბუთის დღევანდელ ადგილმდებარეობას ვერ მივაკვლიეთ. როგორც ჩანს, ისინი 1901 წლის შემდეგ დაიკარგა. აქედან გამომდინარე, ამ გუჯრების ტექნიკურ აღწერილობის, მათი გადმონაწერისა და ასევე მათი ტექსტების გამართვისას ექვთიმესეულ ნაშრომს ვეყრდნობით.

მეცნიერის თქმით, Continue reading „ორი ქვაზედ დაწერილი გუჯარი“ და მისი მნიშვნელობა XVIII საუკუნის დასაწყისის კახეთის სამეფოს ისტორიისათვის[1] / “Two Documents Written on Stone” and their Significance for History of the Kingdom of Kakheti at the Beginning of the Eighteenth Century